Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year

Here it is 2010....been awhile since I've been here. With the New Year comes resolutions. So, I'm putting them into writing, not that anyone really cares or wants to read them, but more to keep myself honest and remind myself of what my goals are. I plan to hang this up both at work an home, someplace where it will be in my face so I can kick my ass into gear and stay on track.

I'm not going to do the eat less, exercise more, lose weight resolution. With my current health issues, that's a given. So, I really only have three resolutions for now an they are in no particular order since none are more important or significant than any of the others:

1. Cook more, eat out less and have fun in the kitchen: This one isn't very hard for me. I've recently found that watching Food Network has inspired the inner chef. I'm making better choices in the grocery store, buying less processed foods, pre-packaged foods and making healthier meals. I've decided my next house will need a full gourmet kitchen because this one isn't big enough for me to work with four adults, two dogs and a cat who are almost always underfoot, and I never have enough counter space. Ahh, the thought of a fabulous Viking stove....Now if only that came with someone to clean up after me.

2. Finish a damn book: Okay, so technically, I have finished a book, several in fact. But writing hasn't really been a priority lately. However, I've made some writing decisions thanks to my good bud Sharron and Adrienne Lee, another author who was kind enough to crack the whip on my ass the last month or so. I'm going to try to blog more, not that anyone other than my good friends will read it but it is a very cathartic thing, I've started a food journal that helps keep me honest about my eating habits, so why not a writing journal. I haven't seriously written in such a long time and I have to realize an accept that it's going to be hard to get back into. But it's like exercise, the more you do it, the more you crave it. I have to use those creative muscles to build them up and make them strong. My new matra: Write, dammit!

3. It's just a job: I work full time during the day and although I do love what I do, the place itself is very stressfull. I let it take over at times an I need to stop that. I'm going to leave my job the moment I walk out that door and not take it so seriously. I'm expendable there, I know that, so my job has to be just as expendable in my mind. It's not a career, it's a job. I'm not going to let the negativity of that place destroy my creativity or energy. I won't let them have that much power over me. My new mantra: it's just a job.

I'm starting the New Year with a trip to San Diego to clear my mind and get away from everything and I'm sure Sharron will do some serious ass-kicking while I'm down there which is probably what I need. I'm sure the wine and kleenex will be flowing abundantly. But that's okay, it's what I need. So right now, I'm formulating a story in my head and am going to start writing every day to get that creativity flowing. It's what I want to do and I'm going to do it despite my family, job and real life obligations. This is what I want to do for me. This is what I what for my career.

And I'm the only one that can make it happen.

No comments: